Monday, December 12, 2011

Can I Survive?

Wait
until ivory
blankets the moon.

The beams will
then light
romance.

But can I survive my longing?

Doubt
assails my
empty lonely heart.

Too many yesterdays
broke their
promises.

Fear
has frozen
my fragile dreams.

They are nothing
but frosted
lace.
  
Do I dare believe?

Joy
is holding
a ragged breath.

Please come quickly
my ivory
moon.

Faintly
I feel
a fluttering hope.

My heartstrings are
playing love’s
chords.


©Susie Clevenger 2011
Painting: Rob Hefferan
Hay (na) ku & Reverse Hay(na)ku poetry form 
 Here is a link explaining Hay(na)ku
Baymoon


8 comments:

Ben Ditty said...

Really connected with the lines "too many yesterdays broke their promises". There's something impossible yet true in the abstract of day's promising us something when they start; a beautiful sunrise, almost too beautiful and marred.

The Unknowngnome said...

"nothing but frosted lace" - So nice!

I get lost in this frozen fragile dream of ivory moonlight. Longing, lonely, hopeful in holding that faint joyous breath of love, I dare believe that this is one of your best poetic pieces.

See you've gotten me singing it. :)

Susie Clevenger said...

Thank you Ben..

Susie Clevenger said...

Thank you Unknowngnome!...I was attempting my first Hay(na)ku and it took me to ivory moonlight.

Jen R said...

Beautiful Susie

Beyond Horizon said...

Sometimes I feel like I live like this poetry...Beautiful :)

Sandy Carlson said...

That is a very tender and beautiful poem.

JaLpArI - tHe MeRmAiD said...

Loving this poem.... a tale of longing....a tale of 'the wait'....