Your DNA

You dressed me in pale skin,
colored my eyes blue,
and carved your smile upon my lips.

My fine boned hands
are the replica of the china pattern
that lifted me up when I fell down.

I hear your voice when I speak.
My laughter echoes the sound of yours,
and I have the same quick temper.

I used to try and find a thousand ways
I didn’t resemble you in looks or manner.
Now I am grateful for every part of you in me.

Mother, Father you are now gone,
but you left a part of yourselves with me.
My tears are not just grief but gratitude.

I have your DNA and your strength.
The lessons of watching your life
keep me strong when I am afraid.

I have two daughters that I see myself in.
I pray I can leave a legacy with them
that will have them saying, “I see my mother in me.”



©Susie Clevenger 2011

Comments

Morning said…
very stunning imagery.
Anonymous said…
Tears blur my keyboard. Beautiful. Such a tribute to those whose life you bear.
Ani said…
Beautiful contribution to the Poets Rally. I love the imagery of the china pattern.
JD said…
Excelllent writing .. well done.
ShonEjai said…
Beautifully written! It just got better with each line I read. Kudos!
Mariela Ochoa said…
Touched in the most tender spot in my heart. Parents are truly a blessing.
Ann LeFlore said…
such imagery poem and so well written this is simply beautiful

http://gatelesspassage.com/2011/09/08/the-crimson-witch/
Anonymous said…
Beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing it!